Organisations: Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
The Biomanufacturing Industry Development Centre (BIDC) programme is a three-year project established to translate biotechnology-based R&D into market-ready products and services. The project is housed with the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and offers competency throughout the value chain i.e. from laboratory scale validation through to demonstration of technology, prototyping and pilot manufacturing.
The BIDC programme is a hub for open-innovation in biomanufacturing and has a strong focus on supporting start-up and Small, Medium and Micro-sized Enterprises (SMMEs) with the development of new technologies and products. It provides incubated companies with access to ready-to use biomanufacturing facilities and supporting research and development (R&D) laboratories. The programme also provides access to experts in the fields related to bioprocess development, prototyping, pilot manufacturing and scale-up capabilities. The hub includes laboratories for molecular biology, applied biochemistry, biocatalysis and fermentation, as well as laboratory and pilot scale process development. These facilities are complemented by high-end analytical infrastructure and skills within the CSIR Biosciences Unit.
The programme is funded by the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) through the Jobs Fund Programme and by the Department of Science and Technology’s (DST) Industry Innovation Support Fund. The BIDC programme and its facilities are accessible to the National System of Innovation (NSI) and can provide contract R&D, process development, process optimisation, scale-up, regulatory support, commercial manufacturing services and incubation of SMMEs to enable the development of a vibrant and sustainable bioeconomy in South Africa and throughout the continent.
- Technology demonstration and validation at lab scale
- Product development and prototyping
- Scale-up of technologies to pilot scale
- Biochemical analysis
- Contract Biomanufacturing
Labs, facilities and skills:
- Research and Development Labs include: Molecular Biology, Protein Purification and 1 litre fermentation laboratory
- Chemical laboratories and analytical infrastructure;
- Natural products pilot facility;
- 20 litre bioprocessing facility;
- 200 litre bioprocessing pilot plant;
- Downstream processing (DSP) facility: product isolation, purification and polishing and
- Product formulation and packaging*
- Expression of Interest Form
Offices – Pretoria, Gauteng
Application Process – Email(email@example.com)